Painting like writing has different drafts. While I personally don't think of them as "drafts" the concept is the same. You're honing an idea, trying to make it better and more cohesive with each change.
My writing style and painting style mirror each other in this way because I usually get inspired by something. A song, picture, quote, book, or movie. It could be anything honestly, and my brain comes up with what sounds like a rather stupid concept. But to me, it's the beginning.
For example, my friend and I were binging this show. (I'm not going to mention the name for 'reasons' this ain't about it) After the season two finale, I was having emotions and decided I wanted to paint my favorite character I had a loose idea for it and made this monstrosity.
My rough draft, as rough as it gets. It took me a long time to appreciate the function of rough drafts, but they are essential. So make those terrible drawings, they help believe me.
Using my idea, I found a reference picture I liked. This actor has a face for art. I've gotten looser with my sketches. I know the proportions are more important than anything else.
The flower crown was fun, it's actually a brush so I didn't have to sit and draw each flower. I added more details but nothing major.
I could have stopped with this, it was the basic idea I had. I posted it and it did better than anything I've ever posted on Tumblr thanks to the (redacted) fandom. They were all so sweet.
But because I'm insane I decided to paint it.
Sketches aren't much of a commitment for me. 2 days at most, a painting however can take me days, weeks, months if I'm especially lazy.
They can also look horrifying in their in-between stages and I found most people can't see the beauty of these stages, but I love the ugly bits.
He's still not finished. It's been weeks since I started. I want to add more blood splatter, maybe more flowers, and a possible antler which makes sense with the 'show'.
I guess my point with all this is art is hard, it takes time and can at times look terrible. But ultimately it's worth it. I also just thought it would be fun to show the whole process. Though mine includes many snack breaks, way too much tea, and coffee. Crying at three in the morning, and sometimes listening to songs 10x in a row.
Also sidenote about (Redacted) I am regrettably a fan, but because of the subject matter and the entirety of season three, I don't want anyone to watch it because I did. (The older sister in me, I swear)
I loved seasons 1-2, I am a sucker for this character. And I know that anyone who has watched this is probably going to laugh at this considering what (Redacted) is about. But season 3 was grotesque and over the top, but not in a good way. I was grossed out multiple times, which is funny considering only one episode in season 2 got to me. But they really just threw everything and the kitchen sink into the last one, and it was so bad on the writing side too. But the ending had my friend and I cackling. So after suffering through it we were like yup.
Couldn't have ended it better. We also crocheted through it like old ladies so the whole thing was comical.
And I made art.
I loved seeing your artistic progress! I look forward to seeing the end result. :)
ReplyDelete-Quinley
Thank you so much! Here's to hoping I finish it! :D
DeleteYou're such a talented artist! I love this, as well as getting to learn more about your artistic thought process.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! I'm glad you like it!!
DeleteI was hoping it would make for a fun post.
I'm so lazy, I have trouble even sketching and then I expect it to be perfectly immediately and quit. You have great persistence, this is a fascinating concept . . . as is [Redacted] and now I HAVE to know what it is . . . I understand you point about younger readers, I've often felt before that I had to add disclaimers and worse, retractions later to books, movies, etc. I've recommended before I finished (note to self, finish first!).
ReplyDeleteEdit, I know what it was, I went to look up the actor and realized what it was before even reaching his work . . . and yeah, NOPE.
DeleteOh me too. I haven't really been able to do anything lately. The perfectionism is hard to break through as well. Thanks, it took me a long time to even allow myself to try to improve my bad art. XD Yeah I usually would have just said it, but I really didn't want anyone to think I was recommending it.
DeleteExactly! XD yeah, it's quite... interesting.
This was SO fascinating! I absolutely love seeing the process of art and watching it come together. And THIS PIECE, GIRL. It. Is. STUNNING. Thank you so much for sharing the behind the scenes with us!
ReplyDeleteThanks Christine! I was hoping it would look like a process and not just a random string of pictures or something.
DeleteEEEP, THANK YOU!
Glad you enjoyed it!
Loved this post and seeing how the art went from stage 1 to where it's at currently. (Here's to appreciating the blood spatter. Stunning XD) Honestly I love all the stages so I'm surprised you didn't just stop there with some of them but glad you kept going.
ReplyDeleteThere's something unique to the way to you see/say things so this is fantastic for me
Thanks, it's a strange process. (Here Here) XD
DeleteYeah, sometimes it's hard to know if you should or not. Because you can wreck it.
Love that, thank you.
Neat post! I do enjoy seeing art at different stages. It's such an intriguing thing, to watch as it goes from messy to a masterpiece
ReplyDelete(also, I'm desperately curious about what the show is now???? I wouldn't watch it, I just get really curious when I'm not supposed to know something, lol)
Alexa
alexa-thusfar.blogspot.com
Thanks! It's interesting, right. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but yeah it's a fun process.
Delete(I feel bad about omitting it, but some episodes made me never want to admit I'd seen it. XD Not that your not supposed to know really, I'll probably end up accidently mentioning it at some point. )