18 Oct 2019

10 Reasons to Read Lockwood & Co (The Book Spooktacular)









This was one of those books, that I didn't have a lot of expectations for. It was an MG and I hadn't really heard about other than having it compared to a Sherlock like setting. I read it mostly because it seemed like the perfect series to read in fall. I did not expect to become emotionally attached to a group of preteen ghost hunters, but here we are.



The synopsis from Goodreads explains it better than I can.

When the dead come back to haunt the living, Lockwood & Co. step in . . .

For more than fifty years, the country has been affected by a horrifying epidemic of ghosts. A number of Psychic Investigations Agencies have sprung up to destroy the dangerous apparitions.

Lucy Carlyle, a talented young agent, arrives in London hoping for a notable career. Instead, she finds herself joining the smallest, most ramshackle agency in the city, run by the charismatic Anthony Lockwood. When one of their cases goes horribly wrong, Lockwood & Co. have one last chance of redemption. Unfortunately, this involves spending the night in one of the most haunted houses in England, and trying to escape alive.

Set in a city stalked by spectres, The Screaming Staircase is the first in a chilling new series full of suspense, humour and truly terrifying ghosts. Your nights will never be the same again . . .


It's an amazing series both in the dark dangerous world and well-crafted characters. I'm convinced that no one can create an atmosphere like Jonathan Stroud. Most books even when trying can not scare me, but these perfectly capture the fear you would feel walking through a haunted house. He builds up the tension super well too.

Basically, they are fantastic, and to further illustrate my point I'll give you ten reasons you need to read these books.

1. Characters- I would say these are very character-centric stories. And all of the characters are dynamic and interesting with specific histories that shaped them into who they are, which is kind of crazy their like fifteen. I love traumatized characters I guess, they're also relatable.


 All fanart belongs to Rachele Raka you can find her here

Lockwood- Is very intelligent and capricious. A bit like how I would imagine a young Sherlock, who I'm imagining was the inspiration behind the character.

“What a great article," Lockwood said, for the twentieth time that day. "Couldn't have been better."
"They spelled my name wrong," I pointed out.
"They didn't mention me at all," George said.
"Well, in all the essentials, I mean." Lockwood grinned round at us.”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Screaming Staircase


Lucy- The books are all from her point of view. She's spunky, cautious, and a bit unsure of herself and her psychic abilities. (She's one of my favorite girl characters)

“I wasn't pretty, but as my mother once said, prettiness wasn't my profession.”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Screaming Staircase


George- The studious one, who loves food almost as much as I do. He keeps the other two alive with a lot of complaining.

“George had his faraway look, the one that made him look like a constipated owl.”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Hollow Boy


Skull- A spiteful and hilarious little beastie, who is quite literally a skull in a jar. (the sassiest character in recent literature.)

“His rapier was at his belt, glittering as he swung. He reached down, ripped the sword clear.
I jumped over a slashing frond of plasm, spun round with the water bottle in my hand. I hurled it across to Lockwood.
George threw his rapier to me.
Watch this now. Sword and bottle, sailing through the air, twin trajectories, arching beautifully through the mass of swirling tendrils towards Lockwood and me. Lockwood held out his hand. I held out mine.
Remember I said there was that moment of sweet precision when we gelled perfectly as a team?
Yeah, well. This wasn't it.
The rapier shot past, missing me by miles. It skidded halfway across the floor. The bottle struck Lockwood plumb in the centre of his forehead, knocking him through the window.
There was a moment's pause.
'Is he dead?' the skulls voice said 'Yay! Oh. No, he's hanging onto the shutters. Shame. Still, this is defiantly the funniest thing I've ever seen. You three really are incompetence on a stick”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Hollow Boy

Holly- A later edition to the team, who adds an interesting dynamic.

“But Holly the gun-toting, wild-haired madwoman of the night before was in there somewhere, I knew. It made me look upon her with fond affection.”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Creeping Shadow


Flo Bones- A relic man er woman I guess. She helps Lockwood out for licorice and basically lives on the streets, hunting for haunted objects to sell.



Kipps- I would be remiss to not mention Kipps, he's the oldest of the ghost hunters. He also starts off as a bit of an antagoinst. He's approaching his twenties and losing his ghost sight.

“Unfortunately, the body within the uniform belonged to Quill Kipps, so the overall effect was like watching a plague rat lick a bowl of caviar. Yes, the classy element was there, but it wasn’t what you focused on.”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Hollow Boy


2. The story I know this one seems obvious, but I've found with most series quality can be an issue. In this one, the overall story arc is strong and enough to keep you guessing. The specific haunting or story in each book is also really solid and intriguing. I remember after finishing the first one I was wondering how he could possibly top it in the next one. Without fail, he upped the stakes every time. Also, the scare level went up with each book as well, he totes the line between thriller and horror quite well. Don't get me wrong their scary, bone-chilling at times. But with pops of humor that keep it from being too grim. (If your not a fan of horror, thrillers, ghosts, poltergeists, death, that kind of thing, these probably aren't for you.)

“Okay...' I hurried on. 'But why me?'
'You're a girl,' Lockwood called. 'Aren't you supposed to be more sensitive?'
'To emotions, yes. To nuances of human behavior. Not necessarily to secret passages in a wall.'
'Oh, it's much the same thing.”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Screaming Staircase

However, if you love creepy stories that edge on horror this is the perfect series. It uses all the mythology of ghosts so well within the confines of the story. This haunted version of London is fascinating and multifaceted.

3. Tea, oodles of tea.

A lot is made of tea in this story and I for one appreciate it. It could be due to it being set in London and most of the characters being British. Which is why I feel like only the BBC should adapt it to tv. Because they will understand it.




“Making tea is a ritual that stops the world from falling in on you.”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Creeping Shadow

4. Humor

These are books that are both self-aware and self-deprecating. The way all the characters banter and bicker is just incredibly entertaining. They also have a rather dark sense of humor which I appreciate. It's a bit like a good Pixar film it has something for everyone. A small smattering of adult humor and innuendos that I couldn't help but laugh at. Most of that comes from the Skull who is of dubious origins and unknown age. He torments Lucy who is the only one who can hear him.

“Really?"
"No. I'm being ironic. Or is it sarcastic? I can never remember."
"Irony's cleverer, so you're probably being sarcastic.”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Screaming Staircase

“The skull’s…spirit? He…he looks different.”
The youth scowled. “Yeah? You look just the same. I was banking on frostbite taking a few of your fingers, or even your nose. Here’s hoping something else has dropped off that I don’t know about. If not, I’ll be sorely disappointed.”
Lockwood stared. “Does he always talk like this?”
“No. Usually he’s worse. See what I have to put up with?”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Empty Grave

“What, are you queuing now? Just how British are you people? Don’t just stand in line! Kill somebody!”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Creeping Shadow

5. Good Character Arcs

The characters evolve a lot in this series. They grow together and actually come to grips with their different traumas and problems. They work through things, maybe not always well but in a way that's human and adds to the realism of it all. I think the Skull has some of my favorite growth, him and Lucy who learns to have more confidence in herself and take control of her abilities.

6. Makeshift Family dynamics




I usually say, dysfunctional family but that doesn't really suit this bunch. They just kinda become one over time. The best kind of family really.



7. An Underrated not Overdramatic Romance




I'm not even sure I can call what Lockwood and Lucy have a romance. More like a mutal pinning, they're young so there is none of that annoying baggage and issues that fill Y.A romances. It's sweet and a refreshing change to the usual tripe.






8. Quotable

It's just too good not to honestly.

9. The Skull ( or becoming attached to a bloody skull in a jar)




I can't explain this one. You have to read it! He's basically evil, sarcastic version of Noah.
He will make you cry over him, the beast.

“Do you trust me?' the skull said.
...
'Yes,' I said. 'Sort of.'
'Then break the bloody glass.”
― Jonathan Stroud, The Empty Grave



10. Emotional damage

10/10 you won't come out of these unscathed. You've been warned.




I hope you've been convinced.

(With the exception of the first two pictures everything else was stolen off of Goodreads and Pinterest)

Make sure to check out Ashley's posts. She has a review for Raven: The Graphic Novel and her amazing short story Ghost and Persie.



14 comments:

  1. YES YOU HAVE 1000% CONVINCED ME! Just the quotes you shared alone makes me want to drop everything and read these right away...if only time permitted. *sobs* I do own the first one though! I saw it in a secondhand shop one day and remembered you loved these books, so promptly bought it! :D

    But seriously, THESE SOUND SO GOOOOOD. I totally need my feels crushed by 15-year-old ghost hunter. YESH. BRING IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squeals* I'M SO GLAD! You will love it. I was hoping they would have that effect. XD
      Ah, really I love that. We do have similar tastes.

      They really are! I love them to bits. You do!!!

      Delete
  2. I. Need. To. Read. This. Your mission has been accomplished. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm possibly almost convinced, this looks so cute, and I love humor in stories, BUT on a scale of Harry Potter (basic good vs. evil, suspenseful) to Stephen King (sadistic, voyeuristic, graphic), what is the scary element?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes. It is very cute and funny. I would say somewhere in the middle, it is a Middle Grade so there are limits to graphicness. He's such a good writer that I just get very strong visuals from them, which is why I think they are a bit scary.

      Delete
    2. I'll try them then, they sound perfect for Halloween, and I need something of lighter reading level.

      Delete
    3. Yay! I hope you like them. They are! Yes, I flew through them.

      Delete
  4. WHERE HAVE THESE BOOKS BEEN ALL MY LIFE??? WHOA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Pretty much my thoughts when I read them!

      Delete
  5. An evil, sarcastic Noah?! I am on board. This sounds absolutely wonderful. More so than I had previously thought. I bet the library has it. I might have to stop by next week. Kept meaning to this week, buuuut I kept forgetting. Maybe that's good because now I can find Lockwood too. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I thought that might get you. He really is though. It is! I hope it does.
      You need it, I do that all the time. Yesss! XD

      Delete