6 Apr 2020

I Like/Love Period Dramas Now? (An Emma Review)





So I watched Emma.
We got it for my mom's birthday, along with ice cream cake, and chicken chow mein. For a moment life felt kinda normal. (She had a really good birthday despite everything.)

I've only recently started appreciating Jane Austen, I used to think that her stories were simply historical romance, I didn't realize the amount of satire that was put into each story. Especially in this one.

It's pure art! I hope more photographers/ artists make movies in the future because the final result is gorgeous. I attempted to describe it to Elizabeth, I told her it's like an easter egg. Which is actually a pretty fitting example. The coloring is incredibly pastel infused, and every still is so intricate and you can see her unique style bleed into it.

I also loved how unlike the typical heroine, Emma is. She's a bit aloof, snobby, and unaware of it really, which just really appealed to me. Because that is an Austen girl I can relate to. One who isn't always likable who does and says the wrong thing, and learns quite a bit about herself through her mistakes. Anya Taylor-Joy's portrayal was fantastic.

I should note, I might be biased as this is the first version of Emma that I've seen. I know a lot of people didn't think this adaptation was up to par with previous ones and I think your opinion is valid because I know the first movie or adaptation of something I see is usually the one I tend to love the most.

So I adored it, but also have nothing to compare it with really. It has inspired me to read the book and watch every adaptation that I can get my hands on, so that's something. It also made me want to completely makeover my life. So I guess you could say it had a bit of an effect on me...

I want Autumn de Wilde to direct my life because she has great taste and an ability to craft a stunning aesthetic.



The humor was quite good too, and my sister and I couldn't stop laughing at the absolute savagery of it all. I liked the use of awkward beats and the music paired perfectly. It was interesting because we all enjoyed it which is a rare thing.

I will say that the brief nudity was unnecessary, and made all of us giggle awkwardly and throw up pillows and hands trying to shield each other uselessly. The whole thing was comical. ( I did like that it wasn't in a sexual context) I do get why people would be upset to see that in an Austen film.

Ignoring that. If you love pretty things, drama, historical films or even if you don't usually like them. I would suggest this movie. It's a delight!

I've even started a painting for it. I want to paint all of it, but I had to restrain.



This is what I mean about this movie making me reconsider everything. I started using a teacup who do I think I am?!




Don't be too fooled by these pictures, I messed up quite a bit after and the tea got cold. 
I have so many thoughts but I can't seem to piece them together. If I loved it less I might be able to talk about it more. 

I hope your all doing okay out there. I've been more or less taking Mr. Knightley's lead.



25 comments:

  1. (That last GIF is SO accurate, though. XD)

    Maybe I’ll give this movie a try! I’ve never read Emma or seen any movie adaptations, so who knows, maybe I’ll enjoy it! And that artwork is FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right XD

      I hope you enjoy it if you do. I think it's better to go in with no expectations. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

      Delete
  2. I've never read a single Austen book. I've only watched Paltrow's version of Emma (and I don't remember much about it at all). But they are on my list of books to get to at some point. I own Emma, so that might be a good place to start.

    "If I loved it less, I might be able to talk about it more" <--Accurate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one XD
      I think I want to watch that one next. Nice!

      Thanks! XD

      Delete
  3. I loved about this review! All your photos were so aesthetic and the GIFs were perfect <3
    That painting though! Again everything in this post was amazing and way too relatable. The description of an easter egg was perfect btw!

    I whole-heartedly agree with everything. I've seen two other Emma adaptions but I think this one blew them out of the water for me personally. This one made me realize just how hilarious the Emma story is. I sort of knew but I didn't realize the extent until this movie. They're such petty human disasters and I LIVED for it in an absolutely gorgeous movie. It's So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I appreciate that especially since your photos are always so good! Thanks! <3
      I have a love/hate relationship with it. Oh good I was hoping I didn't ramble too much. :D Glad you agree!

      That makes your opinion have a bit more weight than mine. It's a good sign that you loved it too. It really is! Jane Austen was fantastic at that. They are! Same!!!
      Agreed!

      Delete
  4. The first version I see is almost always my favorite, too! I can't decide what to think of this. I do want to see if eventually! Your artwork is as amazing as always! I love it when a book or movie takes over my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just always seems so special! I definitely think it's worth a watch. Thank you! <3
      Me too! It's nice to get a little lost in something.

      Delete
  5. This was really interesting! Honestly, this adaptation just didn't interest me too much, but now I am intrigued. I've shamefully never read Emma either BUT I did see the 2009 BBC mini-series and oooooh my goodness, it's probably my favorite Jane Austen adaptation I've ever seen. I ADORED it and ever since it's made me want to read the book. ONE DAY I WILL.

    I was excited to see you say you liked Emma's character because YES. It's funny, so many people just can't stand her, but she's like my favorite Jane Austen heroine??? XD I don't know, I LIKE how imperfect she is, and it made for a wonderful character arc. Also. Mr. Knightley. Just...Mr. Knightley. LOVE HIM. At least the 2009 version. I should probably read the actual story one day. XD

    ANYWAYS. You're making me want to give this one a try after all! And I am ALWAYS up for some beautiful aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! It didn't really interest me either. You've already done more than me than, no need to be ashamed. XD
      Ooo, I need to watch that one!!

      I don't understand why, we need more characters like her. I think she might be mine too! I love realistic, imperfect characters, it did! YESSS, Mr. Knightley we love him alot. XD
      I can't wait to see that version!

      I think you should, you might really love it! Right! :D

      Delete
    2. Yes, the 2009 one is AMAZING, Christine!! Also, you do need to read the book. It's my favorite, both as a book and an adaptation. :)

      Delete
  6. Ohh I love your artwork! I've seen quite a bit of period dramas and the story of Emma continues to be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the Emma book but I haven't read it yet! And ooh you're right, that movie DOES look beautiful.

    "Don't be too fooled by these pictures, I messed up quite a bit after and the tea got cold." Relatable. xD

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to start it too. It really is!

      The one thing I claim to be. XD

      Delete
  8. Ooooh I love the book! I'll have to watch this XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started it, and I love it so far. You should! :D

      Delete
  9. Oh yes, the savage sarcasm! I got to see this quick before the theaters closed, and I got a good kick out of it. The Paltrow version is still my favorite, but I thought this did a great job of bringing out Austen's excellent way of pointing out the absurdities in human nature and society. And I LOVED Bill Nighy. He was awesome. Stole every scene.

    Very pretty movie, like a Faberge egg, or an expensive cupcake. I expect I shall have to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was my favorite part! Oh lucky! I need to watch that one. It did! Yes, He was hilarious! Agreed!

      That's a better description actually! I think I will too.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a very interesting movie! I have a friend who is interested in historical stories. I might recommend this to her. I very much like both the teacup and the painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Oh nice, you should.
      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  11. I nominated you for The Mystery Blogger Award. Your painting is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun, I'll try to get to that soon. Thank you! :D

      Delete
  12. Just dropped in for the first time; wonderful blog! :) I had to comment on this post because... well... I think you should watch the 2009 BBC Emma. It's the best, very close to the book, the visuals/filming are stellar, and Mr. Knightley is... just... oh... WONDERFULLY HIMSELF. Also, Romola Garai does an amazing job portraying Emma.

    I have not seen this one... but I saw the trailer and wasn't impressed, personally. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you, and thank you! I've already bought that one, I sadly haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but it looks so good! Glad to hear all that! Makes me want to watch it even more.

      I really liked it, it's definitely worth a watch. I wasn't a fan of the trailers either so you might like it. :)

      Delete