This one is for the girls who love monsters.
Or at the very least girls who relate or have empathy for
monsters. I don’t want this to get
twisted, because just by looking for
some things for this post. I found there are some super disturbing things on
the internet and I don’t want you guys to get the wrong idea, I’m not talking
about romantic love… let's be clear on that.
I’ve always been a girl who loved monsters. That’s not to say I was never afraid of them,
just that some intrigued me. Especially
their motives and usually half baked reasons for the things they do. I sometimes find their reasons compelling but
generally, it’s pretty pathetic which just humanizes them more to me. That they
make really stupid decisions because they’ve been hurt or taken advantage of in
some way, which is extremely human. I think the defining factor between the
kinds of monsters I care about and the ones that I hate mindlessly, is emotion.
For example, I will never care about Sauron, The White Witch, etc. I never have a reason to care about them, their just straight-up villains,
with not really any depth at all. A force of pure evil, a proper antagonist.
Then there are the ones that I like, because of how much
charisma and flair they bring to that antagonistic role. I like them because
their terrible and good at it, the ones that never ask for forgiveness just a
well fleshed out villain. Moriarty, Scar, Roman Sionis. They entertain me, but their deaths are
earned and almost ensured.
Then there are the classic antiheroes. The conflicted, the
dramatic, the ones that send the fangirls and me, into fits of hysterics. The
misunderstood and brooding, pretty much every male character I have ever
written. Loki, Kylo-Ren, Murtagh, the ones that have the best chance at
getting redeemed usually in death. (I’m not bitter)
Most of the villains I like probably fall into that last
category, It’s popular and for good reason, it works. But lately, I find myself
drawn to a whole other type of monster, and worse they don’t really fit in a
category. They’re a bit of a mix.
(possible spoilers)
(possible spoilers)
Split/Glass
I watched Glass recently, and even though I remembered Split
hazily. I remember that it had all the trappings of a thriller. I thought it
was a good movie but was mad that it didn’t really have much of a conclusion.
Casey never stopped being a victim and the beast was still alive, and I was
very unhappy about that. ( I also would like to state that I hate how this
movie portrayed people with DID. I don’t know why anyone would get their
information from a movie in the first place, but I felt like it needed to be
said. )
James Mcavoy is phenomenal in this role; he changes his body language, tics, and expression, even speech for every personality. They are all so separate from each other and when I watched it for the second time it was super clear who was who. He deserves recognition for it.
On to Glass, There is a complete change in tone in this
movie. It’s more like a superhero drama, which felt like a good change because
if you see Kevin as a supervillain rather than someone with a mental illness.
Casey isn’t a victim in this one, which made me so incredibly happy. She’s the girl the beast let go. In a way, it
is a bit of a weird Beauty & the Beast dynamic with the exception that they
are both so damaged and in similar ways.
Of course, none of that excuses what he did, he killed and
maimed people. At least his alters did, but the fact that Casey wanted to save
him, even after being almost killed too stuck with me. Some people argue that she has Stockholm syndrome which would make a lot of sense, but I prefer to think that she saw the
broken man behind the monster and wanted to save him. Much like Christine with
the Phantom.
I have buckets of emotions about these two. And I know there
was really no other way for it to go. That’s why it’s tragic
Ready or Not
Another movie I didn’t expect to get so attached to.
Stunning aesthetics! It's basically a girl marrying into a
family who’s gaming empire may have come
from nefarious means. This was supposed to be a simple thriller. Grace gets
married to her loving fiancé Alex and
then finds out she needs to play a game. She agrees thinking it’s weird but
rich people are so bloody strange anyway. She pulls the Hide & Seek card and things escalate from there.
It becomes a rather deadly game, that was never really a
game.
Don’t ever ship people in a horror movie that’s all I’m going to say, it won’t end well for you.
Don’t ever ship people in a horror movie that’s all I’m going to say, it won’t end well for you.
So Alex has this alcoholic screw up brother Daniel.
He’s the only one besides Alex who seems
to want to keep Grace alive. He’s
incredibly conflicted and thinks their whole family deserves to die
anyway. He does have the best lines, so I know his humor
and natural charisma are probably the reason I liked him so much.
![]() |
| This jaw clench gives me life. |
He was so torn at one point he finds her and gives her a 10
second head start. Then counts as slowly as possible before ratting her out. Later on in the film, he drops all pretense of caring about his honestly awful family and straight-up saves her life.
He doesn’t want to kill her a choice that costs him. For a soulless cretin, he had a lot of empathy, and now so do I. (I have watched pretty much every edit on youtube of these two, help)
I tried very hard not to pick conventionally attractive
monsters, harder than you guys would think. Daniel here is the one exception. (So
I love Adam Brody, but at least I can admit it)
Alien vs Predator
I feel like Scar is the best example of a monster in
appearance. I got to shout out Mirriam Neal for this one, she’s the Queen of
monsters.
I love the Alien movies at least the older ones haven’t seen any of the new but haven’t heard good things about them. This one was a favorite because Lex was awesome and her and Scar make such a good team in the end.
I love the Alien movies at least the older ones haven’t seen any of the new but haven’t heard good things about them. This one was a favorite because Lex was awesome and her and Scar make such a good team in the end.
I just loved that they developed a level of respect for each
other and that she barely reacted when he took off his mask and when he marks
her with the alien blood for her kill. He manages to convey a lot of emotion
for not speaking and having a face like that.
Does he kill people, yes he does. I suppose in a way all the
ones I have mentioned so far have. In
his defense, he was going to save the one guy, but then he attacked him. So it
was practically self-defense. He’s a soft boi!
I'm not really sure what point I'm trying to make here. I like monsters, some are better than others. I'll let Jeff Winger put a cap on this.
I mean he's not wrong.
I'm not really sure what point I'm trying to make here. I like monsters, some are better than others. I'll let Jeff Winger put a cap on this.
I mean he's not wrong.
Final girls
So aside from me being haunted by monster bois. I have a
whole new appreciation for final girls. I don’t know what it is about the girl
starting off naïve and seemingly weak. Only to go through something insanely
traumatic and not only survive it but take down their tormentor in the process.
I dunno I love it! I feel like my twenties have been somewhat feral and similar in a way. I’ve learned to hold my ground and fight back.
So watching these girls survive hellish situations and come
out covered in blood in and a thick layer of cynicism is somewhat of a
revelation. It’s surprisingly motivating and something that resonates with me.
Sydney Prescott is one of my favorites. She was a bit broken before the story even
began, but her will to survive inspires me also the way she broke a few of the rules set by slasher flicks. Did she make some dumb decisions, um yes. But all things considered, I love how she ended things.
Casey, who I kind of briefly mentioned. She's the most broken of them I think. But seeing her deal with her trauma. And become a stronger person in the sequel is inspiring. A hardcore survivor
I think Grace made me laugh the most. She was freaked out for a good portion of the movie but after several attempts on her life. She just said screw it and started bashing heads in.
(The quarantine mood)
I don't really know what I'm trying to say in this post. I'm sure this says something about me psychologically. I love seeing final girls take the killer or ex-boyfriend out. I like the monsters that hold a sliver of humanity in them. Broken and flawed slightly monstrous things appeal to me.
I myself am a monstrous thing.
(The quarantine mood)
I don't really know what I'm trying to say in this post. I'm sure this says something about me psychologically. I love seeing final girls take the killer or ex-boyfriend out. I like the monsters that hold a sliver of humanity in them. Broken and flawed slightly monstrous things appeal to me.
I myself am a monstrous thing.










I don't tend to prefer scary/horror, movies so I don't know how many monsters I've come across. I'm more interesting in a sort of battle of wits like in Sherlock.
ReplyDeleteMoriarty is an entertaining villain, a worthy opponent, I think that is what I want in a villain pitted against a brilliant hero. There is no real victory over an incompetent villain or a bogeyman (something I think happens at the end of season 3 in Sherlock).
I think that I tend to fall for the handsome classic antiheroes like Loki and while I wouldn't call Kylo-Ren handsome, after the second movie I found him attractive because of his overall attitude and confidence while his whinyness in the first movie combined with his not handsome face put me off. I don't think this is the case in real life though, at least I hope not for that would make me easy prey for a handsome serial killer. My sisters think I'm too ready to ignore the sins of the good-looking guys.
Who is Murtaugh? It made me think of Murtagh from that terrible series Eragon. I remember liking him, although I'm not sure he as even an anti-hero?
I don't mind thrillers but I'm not a huge fan of horror movies either. Well I guess it depends what kind. Oh yes!
DeleteHe is! He definitely was a good match for Sherlock. True it's a hollow victory. (That one was a bit lackluster)
Same, I'm a sucker for them. I have to disagree about Kylo-Ren I find Adam Driver attractive but maybe not conventionally. I wasn't a huge fan in the first movie either, he won me over in the sequel too.
XD I hope so too. I share that problem.
It is the Murtagh from Eragon (I think I misspelled his name XD), it's been so long since I read it. I thought he had an anti-hero arc but I could be wrong.
I had to look up how to spell it, I was trying to see if that was who you were talking about or if there was another character. I think it looked like he was anti-hero at, but then wasn't really? I don't remember, its been like 15 years since I read it, and I didn't know what anti-hero was then. I do think he was the closest I had to a crush in that series, I loathed almost everyone else.
DeleteOh, I find Adam Driver attractive now, its funny, there are guys that I think are blah or even weird looking (Benedict Cumberbatch for one) at first and then something happens with the character and everything changes.
He had a lot of strange names in his stories. XD I thought I remembered him saving some ones life, but that could be a different character entirely. It's been about that long for me too. Oh same! He was the one good character.
DeleteHe has one of those faces that grows on you, and you seem to appreciate more as time passes. I think I had a similar thing with Benedict. Him and Adam both tend to transform into their characters it's interesting.
What a neat topic for a post!
ReplyDeleteI've never actually seen ANY of these. Thrillers/horror/what-have-you are things I VERY rarely watch (although Split and Glass did kind of appeal to me...mainly because James McAvoy *COUGH*), but I pretty much agree with ALL of this. Monsters are GREAT. I mean, Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale. So yes. Clearly monstrous characters appeal to me. XD
It is DEFINITELY the redeemable monsters that I fall for. Every. Single. Time. People like Loki, Zuko, basically every version of the Beast in B&B retellings ever--all those hard-edged, misguided fellas. They get my every single time. Gimme those antiheroes who, in the end, choose good. I will take them ALL please and thank you.
Thank you!
DeleteI was actually struggling with if I should even write this post, because I don't think many of my followers will have seen them. (That was the draw for me too XD) They are, when done well at least. It's so good, I'm pretty sure it's my favorite too. I'm glad! You understand their appeal. :D
Oh same! It's so hard not to. Yup, gotta love those guys. Who doesn't love a good antihero and the redemption arcs are always the best. Yes!
I'm not into monsters too much, but I do like bad guys, the cool ones, and when they turn good.s
ReplyDeleteastorydetective.blogspot.com
I get that, their definitely an acquired taste. Yes, antihero's are the best!
DeleteI haven't seen any of these movies and I'm not a fan of monsters but I would like to see Ready or Not. The plot sounds uber interesting and unexpected.
ReplyDeleteLoren | Plaid + Sugar
It's really good. I mean as long as a bit of gore and language doesn't bother you, it's not really scary.
DeleteThere is also an attempted ritual sacrifice scene I wasn't a fan of, but I just skipped it.
Loved all of this and I relate heavily with this which is something you already know. And it's always nice to know that someone is like this too even though I knew you did. It just feels incredibly validating hearing it out loud and it not always being for the reasons people might think.
ReplyDeleteAnd absolute YES to feeling like a blood soaked fighting final girl.
I can't emphasize it enough
This post meant a lot and thanks for doing!
Also I forgot to add and I'm too lazy to redo the previous comment, but loved the lines of this post being for the girls who loved the monsters and your last line of I myself am a monstrous thing. You had more but those really stuck out with me.
DeleteI'm so glad! It is validating to share interests, especially the more off beat ones.
DeleteXD It's such a mood.
Glad you liked it!
Thank you so much!! I was hoping the last line wasn't too dramatic. XD
Fantastic post! I also have a obsession with "monsters" because I always want to see the good in them. And, like Christine, Beauty and the Beast is my FAVORITE fairytale! Man, I really want to see Glass and Split now.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I like how you put it, that's why I like them too. It's soo good.
DeleteYou should, the first one can be a bit creepy. It's a really neat dynamic.
HMMM. but after you mentioned romance and the monsters that relate there I couldn't un-relate it! I did love this though. Super fun to read! You make so many valid points.
ReplyDeleteOops, not my intention. Oh good! Thank you!
DeleteGlad you think so. :D