25 Sept 2020

My Unconventional Fall Favorites (kind of their a bit basic)

                             




Autumn List

-apple picking

-fall photos

- walk in the woods

- pumpkin patch

- pumpkin carving/painting

- fall baking

-corn maze




Fall is different for me this year.

 I used to think of it in varying shades of orange and yellow. Bonfires, hot chocolate, and smores. Now it's soft russet hues, a mix of browns and very specific shade of red. Dried leaves, woodsmoke, and dirt. A far more desaturated palette. Maybe it's just age bringing out different aspects. 






I'm trying to get more done. I have a million ideas for photoshoots, random posts, art, and writing. I need to utilize them. I've been trying to write a bit every day, I've also been going outside and just soaking up the chill and atmosphere. Just trying to be super intentional with my time and how I'm spending, especially considering how quickly fall blows through.

I'm also trying to watch and read a lot of things, but to be fair I enjoy most of my fall favs year-round. 

I also think of a lot of things as "fallish" things that I don't think most people would associate with it, so I thought I would share them. Because a lot of the fall lists I've seen people make have a lot of the same stuff on them, and I'm always looking for new ones. 

As for media something about the grainy, aged look of films from the 90's and early 2000's gives me more of an Autumn feel than some films that are specifically set in fall. I don't really know why. These aren't really recommendations either, just things that I like. 






Films

- sleepy hollow (technically a horror film, one of my guilty pleasures)

- fantastic mr. fox (fall aesthetics)

- penelope (so pretty and cute)

- scream (1996)(if you don’t like violence or slasher films don’t watch)

- love, rosie (british and gorgeous)

- paranorman (should be as popular as Coraline but gets overlooked)

- a cinderella story(so cozy and has a Halloween dance)

- scooby doo on zombie island (a classic, and no I don’t accept criticism)







Shows

-buffy (all of them really have an autumn feel, but halloween, fear, itself, pangs especially)

-x-files (again the whole show really fits the fall aesthetic)

- boy meets world (just makes me happy)

- buzzfeed unsolved (the ghoul bois)


I'm probably going to think of a bunch more things after I finish this post. For music, I've been listening to a lot of Hozier and Lord Huron. I also found this dark forest playlist and it's so soothing. Especially nice to listen to outside.


As for books I'm reading through the Fairyland series, which is perfect for fall. Catherynne M. Valente's writing is gorgeous and atmospheric. My other favorite is Ray Bradbury I'm reading through From the Dust Returned and I've ordered The Halloween Tree to read in October.

What things are you guys reading or watching? I need recommendations.


21 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I love all the feels in this post. I always say that I can't pick a favorite season because they're all so great, but I do love fall.
    And, yes, listening to music outside is just the best. My family has an old swing in our yard, and I've spent countless hours on it listening to the same songs over and over again.
    I don't think I've seen any of the movies/shows you talked about [I really want to see Buffy, though, since I'm a Joss Whedon fan, and the X-files look cool]. I don't think I've read any of those books either. I need to add more books to my TBR.
    I've mostly been reading the To All the Boys I've Loved Before series, but I also recently read this really cool YA fantasy about this girl who was part angel, part vampire [I cannot remember the title for the life of me]. For shows, I just finished Glee, and Lucifer, and I've been rewatching lots of Firefly, and Scooby Doo. I also recently watched this movie called The Usual Suspects [I don't know if you've seen it, but it was really good].
    Anyway, this was a great post. I'm always happy to see what other bloggers are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I also watched Mean Girls fairly recently. Don't know if you've seen that one, but it's hilarious. I would recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like it. They all do have their own fun things. Right!
      It's so relaxing.
      If you love Joss Whedon you'll love Buffy and X-files is great. Both of those authors are perfect for fall. I need to add a few more too. Love the movies, but I didn't find the books as good. Sounds like a good book.
      Firefly, love that one. And Scooby Doo is always great.
      I've been meaning to watch that one at some point.
      Thanks! :D
      (Mean girls is hilarious and oddly fitting for this time of year)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'll have to check them out.
      I've seen the first movie, but not the second one (not yet, anyway). It is. I believe it's called Close to Dark.
      Yup, it's like my third rewatch. And yes.
      You should. I think you'd really like it.
      (It's so fetch. It really is. Also, winter, simply because of the winter talent show).

      Delete
    3. You should.
      The second one was okay, I liked the first one better. I'll have to look it up.
      Nice!
      I'll get around to it.
      (XD it is)

      Delete
  3. I love fall, too! There's something about the time when it's wet outside, and 60 degrees, but also sunny at the same time...and the sheer aesthetics of the leaves is gorgeous.
    It's interesting what you said about your idea of the colors being different...it's always fascinating to hear how other people related to seasons/events/etc. For me, I think about things in snapshots, rather than colors so my snapshots of fall are different this year--slightly more sunny, and less actual fall events (pumpkin carving, etc.) and more the weather.
    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best! Yes, I love all that.
      I was hoping it wouldn't sound too weird. XD
      Ooo I love that. The weather has been a big thing for me too.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Aaaaahhhh this post is just so full of fall goodness! I am SO HYPED we're sliding into the fall season. It's seriously the best. That's so great that you're intentionally soaking it all up. I need to do that myself! I'm terrible about not living in the present... That's actually something I was thinking about this VERY week, so this post is a great reminder to me to just soak up these days and enjoy them while they're here.

    Thank you for sharing this delicious little peek into your fall aesthetic. It was perfect. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Glad you think so! Same!! It is, I've been anxiously waiting for it. Trying to at least, life gets so crazy it's easy to forget to take some quiet moments. I hope you get to. Love that we both were thinking that. Oh good, you definitely should.

      So glad you liked it! Thanks for reading!! <3

      Delete
  5. We're having an unusually cool fall in Virginia. I'm loving it too. The leaves have a few weeks to go before they start to change, but when they do it's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours has been pretty cold too. Right!
      It happens so quickly, but it's beautiful.

      Delete
  6. I had never thought of the X-Files having a fall aesthetic but it does! Currently I'm watching the Golden Girls and reading happy books to guide me through this pandemic

    stay safe

    Loren | Plaidandsugar.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, it's all the fog. XD Yes, that one is perfect for this time of year.
      Love that.

      Delete
  7. Its getting cool this week, so I won't boil in my tights and boots whereas last year it was too warm for that until the end of October. Fairy tale retellings I think are going to be my genre of choice this year, but I do want to read some of Bradbury's spooky works some Fall, probably not this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been having some cold days too, I love when I can wear sweaters.
      Oh that's perfect, you should!

      Delete
  8. I love absolutely everything about this post!! It has such an aesthetic and vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Penelope! That movie us so, so, so adorable! I watched it in March and usually I wait longer before a rewatch, but I'm kind of feeling like it again. Recently I watched the movie Big Fish (2003) and it was so GOOD! It's directed by Tim Burton and it has a bit of a different feel compared to his others, and I LOVED IT. So if you haven't seen it I totally recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It's is! It's perfect for this time of year. Ooo I'll have to check it out.
      Thanks! :D

      Delete
  10. Paranorman is awesome! Definetly my favorite Laika movie.

    ReplyDelete