26 Apr 2021

A Plethora of Things I've Been Enjoying

I like posts like these I'm not sure if any of you do. I've just been struggling a bit with well everything and nothing. It's just doldrums. So I wanted to share all the things that have been helping with that. 


coffee-stained pages/windy days/strawberry lemonade/soft music/quick sketches/

scribbled lines/dusty pink/ brimming with ideas/messy hair/ daydreaming/dappled sunlight







I've been reading Uprooted by Naomi Novik. It's incredibly cottage core and reminds me of Howl's Moving Castle. But darker and somewhat reversed a bit more mature too because of some unfortunate content. Despite that, I've been absolutely loving it. Her writing is gorgeous and I was caught from the first sentence. 

Our Dragon doesn't eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. -Uprooted

It has some Beauty& the Beast elements which is always nice to see, and I adore Agnieszka, she's a mess quite literally. And never seems to be able to do as she's told. I'm only about halfway through, but I'm utterly enchanted by it.  


Some Indie music I've been loving.


Dean Lewis- Falling Up 

(I wanted everything but nothing's every good enough)

Mehro- Lighting

(Too blessed to be worried don't need the feeling of regret)

half.alive- What's Wrong

(Tell me how to live intention because every woulda been kills me)

Amy Shark- Lies about Me

(She's so passive agressive, yeah whatever you say)

Ben Platt- Imagine

(You say I'm your hero, but your the one that saved me)

NIve- Tired/ in the bedroom

(How do I breathe when I'm underwater)

Orla Gartland- More Like You

(I heard it from a women on the internet, she told me to eat well and try to love myself)


The Untamed

This show was not supposed to take over my life. My sister and I were already watching 20 plus k-dramas. When I mentioned to her that there was this 50 episode c-drama with a guy playing a flute while a different guy fought around him and they had these crazy wigs. (I don't look up the synopsis of anything any more if I see something pretty I watch it) 



I also mentioned that they might possibly be a couple based on fanart. Then cofidently showed her an edit of what I thought was the main leads but was actually one of the villians and this guy he tricks. So no one should ever trust me. 

She agreed to watch it. And we both sat incredibly confused through the first episode. 

It's starts off like the ending of Lotr when Frodo is dangling off Mount Doom. We watched the main character die, completly baffled at what was happening. People were fighting over this object, he's blood covered and crying, as is the guy who tries to save him. 


After he dies, he's ressurected either 10-16 years later. And he hides who he is with a mask but Lan Zhan reconizes him as soon as he sees him cuz their like soulmates or whatever. 

From there we get yanked back to the actual beginning and follow the story leading up to and then after Wei Wuxian's death. And somewhere along the way I fell completely in love with it. Fair warning for anyone who may want to watch it.

 It's melodramatic like every drama I've come across and one of the reasons I love them so much. Expect wigs, drama to the max, everyone can jump/ float unaturally and it's never explained. Excessive blood (seriously everyone coughs up blood, they should all be dead) another thing I love too much. Incredibly awful cgi especially any monsters *dies laughing thinking about a wolf and a deadly turtle* Like is it cheesy, over the top, with the occasional bad actor. Yes! But it's also a gorgeous, well acted, emotion shredding story so...

Things I adored

. It's enganging, like you need to know what's happening.

. Hero breakdown (You get to watch Wei Wuxain completely crumble as a person)



. So pretty ( I want to paint everything the color palette is gorgeous)

. soft bois (Lan Zhan, Wei Wuxian, Wen Ning there's more too)

. the bunnies! 

. Lan Zhan protecting Wei Wuxian 


. Wei Wuxian getting a kid and when he see's Lan Zhan after a year. He tells him it's his biological son. He's not XD




. Wen Ning's duality

 

Softest boi but also can take on anyone



. The villians are properly villianous (with the exception of whatever the hell was going on in episode 45 who thought that needed to be a plotline. We already hated the villain.)

. The Yi City arc ( I don't even know what I'm supposed to feel, but there is emotion)

. Villian breakdown

. Xue Yang! Someone on tumblr mentioned that most people try to make excuses for characters but with Xue Yang he's a blood drenched racoon who's the absolute worst but we love him anyway. He's Loki without any redeeming qualities and my slightly problematic fav.When I say slightly he makes his first apperance on the top of this roof, he killed an entire clan, and was waiting for the people following to show up, he's been there for 10 days. Just chilling like a villian.


He cute, he's a MURDERER, but he cute



. The hair in every scene is like a Loreal commercial. 



. The fact that even with China's censorship, it's obvious that Lan Zhan and Wei Wexian are in love. (cue me constantly saying "There's no straight explanation for that" and my sister laughing her head off)

. Lan Zhan breaking all the rules for Wei Wexian and never abadoning him even after he got taken over by the yin tiger seal. *chef's kiss* I want a Lan Zhan or a Xue Yang XD

. The Black Tortoise of  Slaughter (if you know you know)

. The ads 





Vincenzo


We have two episodes left and I can't handle it, this show is everything I have ever wanted and more. I'm happy that a lot of people online seem to agree, plus the tumblr tag is basically everyone screaming about Ignazhi the pigeon. So I feel like we won. 

Things I loveeee!

. The chaoticness of it all, but the plot is super well written and fantastic

. Vincenzo Cassano's duality he can be so soft and it makes you forget who he is, until something happens and then his fighting skills come out.

. The Bonnie and Clyde relationship him and Hong Cha have

. All of the mafia stuff

. Whenever Vincenzo speaks italian

. Jang Ju-woo he's such a fascinating villian and always makes me laugh, while still being genuinely scary

. Ignazhi 

. How all the tennants have just become Vincenzo's found family

. When someone close to him was murdered, Hong Cha catches up with him not to stop him, but to tell him to make sure they pay.

. The humor

. the emotions

. how there's no toxic masculinity

. Just Hong Cha I have never related to a charater more



Shadow and Bone


I had been anticipating this one for forever, and I was suprised at how good it was. I had a couple quibbles mainly with Kaz, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. 




Things I loved

. Everything Ketterdam! It was perfect

. The crows never have I seen better casting

. I actually didn't mind the Shadow and Bones stuff

. The Darkling, because I love that he's such a drama queen and Ben Barnes killed it

. Miloooo!

. Jesper stole the show, and I'm not mad about it

. Nina and Matthais being cute, they did rush it, but they were both so good.


Also watching Taxi Driver, Sell Your Haunted House, and Law School. All K-dramas, and all really good! Oh and finished The Falcon & the Winter Soldier also really good. 



Kingdom: Legendary War

This is a like a competition show. Where k-pop bands go against each other and peform. It's so much fun to watch, and most of it is just the bands fanboying over each other. It has overwhelmed me a bit, because I want them all to do well. Went in for Stray Kids, but I'm rooting for them, The Boyz, and Ateez and SF9 now. 

The performaces are always amazing and it's just fun to watch. (I miss Hyunjin though)




A Random Asortment of  Things

Stretching. I always used to avoid stretching videos, but their super relaxing.

Acoustic or stripped version of songs. (their just so emotional)

Well done edit videos with hd clips ( The backbone of the nation truely)

Kneaded erasers, thought I didn't need one. Never going to use another kind now

Bois with flowers/ makeup/ glitter k-pop may be responsible for this idk



Pride & Predjudice 2005 can be a personality trait. 

I really really like painting bloody/fiery things and I'm trying to figure out if that should worry me. (thoughts?)



What are your favorite things of the moment?

24 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of this post!!! It's so much fun seeing the little joys in every day life. This was a TREAT. And you make me laugh so hard! Your description of this show tho. "...a guy playing a flute while a different guy fought around him and they had these crazy wigs." I'm DYING. And "The hair in every scene is like a Loreal commercial." Bwahahaha! That really is some absolutely fabulous hair!

    I'm so glad you've found so many things to love right now! I always find I'm in a much better mood when I have a particularly good TV show or book going. Gotta love the power of stories! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was hoping it would be fun. There's so many to find. :D I'm glad it made you laugh.
      It's a surprisingly fitting description for it. I mean it doesn't tell you anything, but it's accurate. XD
      It really is, it's glorious!

      Yeah, it's been nice. Right, it helps boost your mood a ton.
      Yes!!! <3

      Delete
  2. I love posts like these, too. Sorry you've been struggling. That's never fun.
    I love the commentary. "The hair in every scene is like a Loreal commercial."
    Ah, I've been enjoying so many things recently. I've been reading Emma, and watching Julie and the Phantoms and Angel, plus I'm re-watching Glee. I have very eclectic music tastes, so I've been listening to lots of different things (mostly Glee, though, if I'm being honest).
    And edit videos with HD clips truly are the best! I've wasted many, many hours watching fandom edits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Thanks, it's getting a little better.
      XD It really is though, so lush.
      I need to finish Emma, heard a lot about that one. And need to get to Angel after I finally finish Buffy. Love rewatching things. Same, I just shared the nice stuff XD (That's fair)
      Yessss! Their my favorite thing.

      Delete
  3. I love posts like this. I feel like I don't have time to breath. I haven't watched anything really (still got to finish that first k-drama I started). But I've been racing through Robin McKinley books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! Oh that's the worst. Well that probably means you've been more productive than I have.
      I need to get back to all my books.

      Delete
  4. I love everything about this. Starting with the aesthetic list of things, the photos, using different words like doldrum and ending with mentioning your love of bloody/fiery things. Just yes to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Uprooted! Very Robin McKInley-ish. I still need to read Naomi Novak's other book, Spinning Silver, I think? Agree with all your Shadow and Bone stuff- Kaz needed more to do, but other than that the crow casting was so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good right! Ooo I should check her out. Yeah, I've been meaning to read that one.
      Glad you agree. Yeah he got pushed to the side a bit, if they do a second season hopefully that won't happen.
      It is!

      Delete
  6. (blogger has been refusing to display my name in comments lately, it's so confusing, so in case it keeps doing it--this is me, Katie)

    Pride & Prejudice 2005 IS a personality trait. You're so right, m'dear.

    "tHERE'S NO STRAIGHT EXPLANATION FOR THAT"--me, constantly *giggles*

    I watched Shadow & Bone and ... I had mixed feelings overall, because I absolutely don't care about the Darkling or anything related to his plots or subplots, I was frustrated that he and Alina took up so much screentime, I was //only// there for the Crows. And on the one hand, the Crows cast was amaaaaaaazing and I would sell my soul to Freddy Carter and Amita Suman!!! But on the other hand, they made some choices with writing Inej that made me go "erm what?" I was a confused bean with confused emotions xD I'm probably gonna have to write a whole blog post just about Inej to get all my thoughts out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh weird, I wonder why?

      Isn't it! I want to live in that movie.

      XD I say it so much!

      I had some mixed feelings too, but they did far better than I thought they were going to. I completely get that, I think the only reason I like him is because I already liked Ben Barnes and had seen him play a few villainous characters. Honestly same XD
      Their both so gorgeous!! They did a bit of that with all of them, and I was a bit upset that Kaz was being so obvious with his affections (Where's that famous poker face)
      You should! I'd love to read that!!

      Delete
  7. Your posts are always so fun to read, Skye! I love all of the thoughts. P&P 2005 IS a personality trait! I hadn't thought of it like that before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Glad you enjoy them. It really is, right!

      Delete
  8. You don't like Shadow and Bone books, I'm guessing?
    It is honestly a smart on the creators to have Six of Crows part of the Shadow and Bone. I honestly found that part amazing choice. I was like, "yes, I need this." XD
    I haven't watch Shadow and Bone yet and I'm already in love with the cast. I never love the cast in movies or TV shows. They are like seem so perfect for the characters, I can't even deal with it. Ahhhhh.
    Also just curious: What do you mean by they rush it? And what are your quibbles with Kaz? (no spoilers of course)

    This comment is literally all about Shadow and Bone TV show. XD (I did enjoy reading all of the other stuff you loved as well. XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think their pretty good so far, I've only gotten halfway through the second book. I'm definitely a bigger fan of Six of Crows and kinda wish the show was focused more on them, or all of it. But I do like Shadow and Bone. It was a really cool idea, and worked better than I thought it was going to.

      The cast is perfect, for all of them. I don't usually either, so it was a nice change. They are!! I've been fangirling over them a lot.

      The rushing thing was just because I thought they were going to just set up Matthias and Nina's relationship, instead of showing scenes of them fighting then saving each other and falling in love. Time supposedly passed but when you watch it, it feels like less than a day between all that. I just wish they didn't feel the need to couple everyone up so fast.
      With Kaz I feel a lot of the complexness and subtilties of his character are gone. They rounded all of his edges in a way and tried to make him more likable and they were way too blatant about his feelings to Inej for a guy with a famous poker face, it was like he had none.

      I don't mind. XD I might be writing a post about it soon. (Thanks!)

      Delete
    2. Ah, okay. That makes sense. I honestly think more people are and I'm one of them. Six of Crows is a genius piece of work. I was blown away. That is fair. I don't know if the TV show would recreate all of the books in the Grishaverse, but that would be awesome and I hope that it does, but really it is such a treat to have the Six of Crows now when the creators could have just done Shadow and Bone storyline. It is definitely cool idea to do a whole new thing that ever been seen before and I'm glad to hear it works well enough.

      Oh, wow, that's amazing. I'm so happy about it and weirded out as well, haha. I been have fangirling about them a bit too! I watched more videos of them in a row than any other cast and just wanted more of them, but had to control myself because spoilers and not wasting my time too much, haha.

      Ah, that makes total sense! That does sound quite annoying. Maybe they are saving the moment for later? I have no idea if they are actually going to be Six of Crows storyline, but if they are, maybe they are saving the flashbacks for that part? It will certainly make up for the lack of development it seems to have.

      How rude. Him being an unlikable character is the literally the reason why we love him, haha. Maybe it didn't adapt well to the screen, but that would be frustrating for the book fans I think. Oh no, Kaz being obvious about feelings! That's seems so wrong. Though could it be for the audience cause they can't get into his head (cause it was obvious he liked her in his mind). But still, maybe not so blatant?

      Oh, awesome! Here's another long comment about it. XD Oh, cool! After all this talking, I'm desperate to watch this show. But I don't have Netflix. *cries*

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I need to finish the series. I do think it's the better series. It is. Same, I didn't really know what to expect when I bought it and it became a quick favorite. I hope so, I think it would work. Agreed, I'm really happy that they decided to opt for both. They did also fix some things in Shadow of Bone, so it was nice that they were able to alter it a bit.

      Right! Me too, I'm used to only liking the casting of maybe one character. I've watched tons of edit videos and their all so funny behind the scenes. I have to do that with so many things.

      It is. Maybe, I think their talking about season 2 I hope we get another one, they'll be able to round out the characters a bit more. I didn't think of that, I hope they do that.

      Exactly! He has a few moments, where he felt closer to what I had imagined. But he was kinda brushed aside at times, which doesn't suit his character at all. Yeah, I was like wait. He'd rather die than admit he has any. XD
      I think they could have just done that with looks maybe. He's really good at expressing things with just his eyes and the odd jaw clench. I've seen them do it really well in other shows like Vincenzo, it's clear the two leads like each other, and it's expressed rather than said.

      I appreciate the comments! Love talking about stuff like this. I think they have a free month trial you could use or maybe you already have.

      Delete
    4. Oh, you can have a free month trial??? I should look into that. If it's true, I then just need the internet for it....

      Delete
    5. You can. I think you need a credit card, and you have to remember to cancel it before the trail ends.

      Delete
  9. So, hi *smiles and waves awkwardly*
    I'm Amy and new to the blogasphere (yeah, I probably didn't spell that right...)
    ANYWHOSE, just thought I'd say hay, and let you know that I pretty much love everything you just mentioned (especially soft bois w/ makeup and glitter (what can I say, k-pop has ruined us forever) *sighs wistfully*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Nice to meet you. (I’m not sure how to spell it either)
      Yesss! Glad I’m not the only one. Love the soft bois. It has!

      Delete
  10. I'm gonna need access to Netflix somehow, someway, SOON because once I read the Grisha books I'm GONNA want to watch that show!!

    ReplyDelete