I turn twenty-four tomorrow people, and I have no idea how I feel about that besides.
I've wanted to write a letter to my younger self, but I could never decide which age. So why not all of them. I change so much every year that you'd think I have a personality disorder. I don't, I think...
This is going to be a mess.
Dear Me,
I feel like you will be a bit disappointed with how we turned out.
By circumstances and situations no one could have foreseen, you grew into a nerd. Note the heavy sarcasm. I think what's scary about this, is that you're proud of this fact. Your favorite place is a bookstore, especially one that plays hipster music and has a Starbucks inside. You're more comfortable around books then people, no matter how much you tried to fight that when you were eighteen.
You're chasing an artist's life which is ironic, because you never wanted that card when you played Life. It meant you would't win the game and had a low income. Well surprise, it's all you can see yourself doing now. But since when have you ever played by the rules.
You live through ink, paper, and photographs. You let people talk down to you about that, don't.
You never become graceful or charming. You're awkward, goofy, and spit when you talk. You try to hide this by being quiet and shy when you first meet people. You repress yourself and it's a hell of a habit to break. This leads to insecurities, you have a lot. Still working on them, but you don't hate yourself anymore.
You let anxiety hold you back, you quit music, you give up on driving, and for a bit you give up on yourself. You get through it. You can't really get rid of anxiety, but you can fight it. And you will, some days it wins, but don't stop. Don't you dare quit.
You didn't become a published author by 16, try 23 but you still did it.
Mom and Dad are still together despite it all, held together with duct tape, bubblegum, and endless prayers. The fractures are there, but it's not your job to seal them. You keep your faith, and believe me that's all that matters.
You're figuring it out, who you are, your art and writing style. It's a messy process, but it's starting to show promise. You hid who you were away for so long, that when you finally do show bits of yourself some people don't like it and leave, let them. You're still learning.
You change a lot, you become cynical and jaded and certain words fall out of your mouth that would make younger you cringe, that's okay. You learn to laugh about things, and that dark sense of humor gets you through a lot. So does sing-screaming Fall Out Boy in the car.
You're a bit of an oxymoron. Younger you probably won't believe it, but you start liking pink again, romantic comedies, and girly things like makeup and boys. Don't worry you still love black, smudged eyeliner, zombies, and emo music. You roll your eyes about stereotypes now, and all the stupid things you used to think. How you used to try so hard to be different from every girl you knew.
You start not to care what people think of you, and you don't try to convince them of anything anymore. This is a good thing, don't water yourself down.
You learn to embrace the things you love and not hide them because someone might judge you.
Life hits you hard, and everything is a struggle. Growing up is a lot more complicated then people let on. Being in your 20's is weird, because you don't feel like you know what you are doing, or that you changed at all. Then you spend time with people who are teens, and you can see it. The ways you grew and changed. The perspective changes, but I'm still not sure you will ever really grow up. Not really.
You learn to pick yourself up, everyone is fighting through something and sometimes you gotta shoot up a prayer and handle it. You're stronger than you think.
Scream, sing, dance, pray.
We're figuring it out darling.
Love,
Your over-caffeinated self.
My Aunt made me a Loki cake, isn't it beautiful!


That was beautiful and I'm tempted to do something like this. AND THAT CAKE!!! IT'S SO COOL!!!!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful birthday. You rock! Don't forget that. <3
Thanks Ivie, you should! Isn't it!!!
DeleteI will, you too! <3
I love this, Skye <3 I think I’m probably still too young to do this for myself, but I’m definitely tempted in a few years. Beautiful post, dear.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Faith! I get that, you should. It's therapeutic.
DeleteAww, Thanks again!
This is beautiful, Skye, just like you.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday, girl.
I think it’s so great that we can look back and see how we’ve grown, even if we don’t feel it in the moment. And I’m so glad that you’re learning to let people be stupid on their own. You’ve got books to write, and art to make, and stupid people need to get out of the way.
*HUGS* Thanks Maddie!
DeleteYou too! It's so cool that we share a birthday!
Yes, hindsight is neat. Trying anyway.
I do!!! Hope you have an amazing day too!
Aaaahhhh! IT'S YA BIRTHDAY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY DEAR SKYE!!!!!!!!!!! *throws alllll the confetti*
ReplyDeleteI. Loved. This. Post. It was so relatable! I think my younger self would laugh at how much of a nerd I really became. XD
I love how you didn't want to be the artist in The Game of Life because it didn't pay well, and now you're pursuing it. But that just goes to show how wild and beautiful life is. All our Big Plans we had when we were young usually don't turn out, but it just means God's got something even greater. I think it's the best thing in the world that you're chasing your dreams. Like you told your younger self, don't ever, ever, EVER let people stop you from doing that.
"You learn to embrace the things you love and not hide them because someone might judge you." <---YES. I used to be all secretive about my interests too because I was scared of judgement. But now I shout to the world about all the things I love and life is so much better this way. We should never let the fear of judgement make us hide!
And the whole being in your 20s and not FEELING in your 20s until you're with teens thing...I thought I was the only one! :O I always feel young and stupid and like I'm not ever going to become an adult. Then I see the immaturity of teens and realize I definitely HAVE become an adult. XD I didn't know other people felt this way!
GAH. I just adored the whole message and everything about this letter. Thank you for sharing with us! And thank you for embracing YOU, because you are an amazing lady. <333
Happy birthday again! (And dat cake. o___o It is epic!)
*HUGS* Thank you Christine! *dances*
DeleteEeep! I was hoping someone would. It's so rambly and random. If nothing else I hoped someone could relate. XD
I never did! I always tried to be a doctor. It's funny how that works isn't it. It's crazy. Nothing I thought when I was younger happened. Thank God! XD Thanks!
I won't!
This is so freeing, I'm glad you embrace your interests! Other peoples opinions don't mean a thing.
Yes, it's a thing. I feel like people need to talk about it more. It's kinda hilarious actually. I'm so immature, but not that immature XD
I'm so glad, thanks for reading it! :D I'm trying to, it's been a process. Thanks! So are you! <333
THANK YOU SO MUCH! (It was amazing)
Happy birthday beautiful. thats a lovely letter. I hope you enjoy this next phase in life!
ReplyDeleteThank you! Glad you think so. I will!
DeleteHappy birthday!! 24 is pretty young if you ask me :P I like this letter. I really really do. It's strait to the point and so wonderful. I can relate to a lot of the things you've written about yourself. I wonderful what it would be like to read that as your younger self haha. Anyways. Lots of love for you! *hands you some ice cream* You're wonderful! <3 (:
ReplyDeleteThanks Vanessa! It is, actually. Thanks! I tried to be as honest as possible and not to rambly. That's awesome, I think it would help and terrify me.
DeleteThank you! <3
:D
Lovely post, Skye! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! *throws cake around* <3 <3 <3
ReplyDeleteThanks Lila! XD
Delete<3
This!! I can relate so hard. I feel like over the past five years I've changed so much and now i'm not really sure who I am anymore. I hope you have the best birthday!!
ReplyDeleteLilah
I was hoping someone would, it's normal. I think everyone changes maybe even more then they realize.
DeleteThank you!
Happy birthday! *throws cupcakes and confetti* Also... THAT LOKI CAKE IS AWESOME.
ReplyDeleteThanks! XD
DeleteIt was, it tasted amazing too!
Happy birthday! That letter to your younger self was awesome! :)
ReplyDelete-Brooklyne
Thanks, Brooklyne! Glad you liked it.:D
DeleteThis is so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday!! <333 And I love that cake.
Thank you, Gray!!!
DeleteIt was a fantastic one!
<3
This is a beautiful letter and hAPPY BIRTHDAY! I feel like birthdays always give me a little bit of anxiety that I'm getting old but like...there is also cake. So that's handy. And I think it's excellent to grow up into a nerd who defies stereotypes and eats Loki cake and is an artist and sometimes is eaten by anxiety, but also sometimes wins against anxiety. 💛💛I hope you have a truly wonderful day!
ReplyDeleteThank you Cait!<3
DeleteThey do, the cake makes up for it. Glad you think so, I've learned to embrace it.
<3<3
You too!
Happy Birthday!!! This is such a beautiful, and raw letter. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. <3 <3 <3
ReplyDeleteThanks Melissa! I'm glad you liked it! <33333
DeleteThank you for this so much Skye! Ive been in well actually the fairly typical headspace where I have a similar conversation with myself and I just really really needed to read it right now. The fears, doubts and anxiety that plague me need the reminder that it's okay to no longer be the person you were even if you never really knew who that person was exactly.
ReplyDeleteAnyway I just really needed to hear this at roughly 2:00 in the morning, close to crying with a Niagara falls of spit and toothpaste pouring out my mouth :-P it's a pretty sight... XD
Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And here's to past selves! *raises the ginger ale version of champagne*
You are AMAZING Skye don't ever forget it
This is Elizabeth by the way XD I haven't quite navigated how to comment with a proper headboard yet but I think I've figured it out now after the comment is sent
DeleteI'm glad you liked it. Nice to hear I'm not the only one. I was hoping it would help someone. It's okay to change it's normal believe me. You're a work in progress.
DeleteBasically how I wrote this post, so your in good company. XD
Thank you! *clinks your cup* Cheers!
Thanks! So are you!
Eeep Elizabeth! Can't wait to see you!
*Bear hug*
Nobody ever made me a Loki cake. Your aunt is awesome.
ReplyDeleteThis is a key thing you've learned, I think:
You start not to care what people think of you, and you don't try to convince them of anything anymore.
Once I learned that, I had a much easier time in life too.
Twenties were easier than teens. And thirties? Thirties are awesome. You have a ton to look forward to!
She really is!
DeleteI agree, that probably had the biggest impact.
Glad to hear that!! :D
I love this so much! It makes me want to do one. Don't know if I actually will though.
ReplyDeleteI once wrote a letter to future me (I've actually read it?! Because I'm that old//old enough to have a younger me write to current older me.) It was very cynical and sarcastic. No surprise there. Except that I realize I was always this sarcastic and cynical? I used to think it was a recent development, but it seems I've been growing into it instead. I just used to not show it because my family would've judged me so much (and currently do. . .). Perhaps I'll do another one of those. I don't know.
Happy late birthday! Happy current Unbirthday! And keep being you, a you that you like being, and a you that keeps becoming a better you that you like being even more.
Heh, I hope that made sense.
ps-- the loki cake! aoelfkjad!
DeleteI was a bit embarrassed to share it, so I'm glad you liked it. You should!
DeleteThat's cool. Sarcasm is my default. I've gotten better at it, so I get what you mean about growing into it. Awe, my family appreciates mine for the most part. They can be really therapeutic.
Thank you!!!! XD I do love the Unbirthdays. That should be cross-stitched on a pillow.
:D It did!
I was so excited, haven't had a cake like that in a long time.
Awww, I LOVE THIS!! I relate to it a lot too: being so awkward and goofy that you're scared to say anything around "normal people," but slowly realizing you gotta love yourself and be yourself anyway. And I love this line "You learn to pick yourself up, everyone is fighting through something and sometimes you gotta shoot up a prayer and handle it. You're stronger than you think."
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post. It's fantastic!
And a super late happy birthday! Hope 24 is treating you well so far. :)
Alexa
thessalexa.blogspot.com
verbosityreviews.com
I'm so glad! It's nice to know I'm not the only goofy and awkward person. ;)
DeleteI'm happy that, it resonated with you.
Thanks for reading.
Thank you so much! :D
It is!