I thought I would share my favorite bits of the ones I got so far. Just know that if you wrote me a good review I cried, and if you wrote a bad one I probably did too, but for a different reason. I'm getting better at not taking those critiques so hard. Some of them, have been helpful. I now know what I have to improve.
If you're looking for a gritty circus setting, snappy writing, electric characters, a plot that keeps your adrenaline rushing as fast as Snow's on the tightrope, and a brilliantly unique take on Snow White, then this is it! I could seriously fangirl about this novella for days.- Christine Smith
Without question, the most delicious piece of writing I've read in a long, LONG time. And I do mean 'delicious.' This is one of those stories where you can literally taste each color as it's painted on the page, and I'll have you know they taste pretty dang good. Some are burnt and black like charcoal; others are light and sweet and tart like lemon candy; but they're all so so soooooooooooooooo yummy. Phenomenal description. Phenomenal atmosphere. 100/10 would recommend. - Katie Hanna
FALLING SNOW is a truly spectacular read. I’m utterly enchanted! This review is going to be difficult to write, because how do I recover from something so amazing? MY FEELS. WHAT ARE WORDS. I’M PEN-SLAIN. I don’t know how to express how much I absolutely adored this story and how striking and thrilling it was and how it blew me away. - Deborah O'Carroll
I thought this was probably the most faithful retelling, interestingly. It took a lot of elements and played with them, and it reversed a great many details, which I found remarkably compelling. Perhaps my favorite part of this story was the prose. It was gritty, atmospheric, and described everything so perfectly. I felt like I was THERE, within the story. - R.F Gammon
But, whilst the setting and premise are wonderfully original, the characterization is more deficient. This Snow is such a hopeless pawn that she reads like a guest star in her own story rather than the main character, and that in spite of having a POV of her own. - Marquise
( This review was more of a critique, but she still gave me four stars, and I agree with her.)
And it really was a gorgeous story, albeit one hidden under a thick layer of grime - sort of the way that the faerie reality was hidden under glamour. Snow shone through as a breath of innocence in a cast of characters where no one was a saint. - Kendra Ardnek (This one also was a critique, but I appreciate a good critique it's the only way to grow.)
The way so many of the elements from the original story were twisted was positively brilliant. I also loved how the hidden danger of the circus where Snow worked saturated everything even before you knew what the secret behind it all was, making me constantly question which characters Snow should trust, - E.F.B
I loved the contrasts of the circus, the glitz and glamour on the surface that, like a poisonous veneer, hides the hidden gruesomeness beneath- Meredith Burton
A dark blend of Once Upon a Time and The Greatest Showman, Falling Snow is a riveting start to the Five Poisoned Apples collection! I can't wait to see what Skye Hoffert writes next. - Tracey Dyck
She has a way of writing her characters where you can just see them standing in a dark ally with a cigarette, their gangster hat pulled over their eyes and a bottle of bootleg whiskey in their pocket. - M.K (I adore this description)
![]() |
| ME and my story. XD |
The whole story was fabulously done, really. The plot, the characters, the setting, everything was so aesthetically pleasing! - Madeline J. Rose
What a thrillingly wicked tale. It was so unique, but I loved how all the original elements of the tale were twisted to fit in. So good. -Nicki Chapelway
I loved how all of the original Snow White elements were incorporated, and was not disappointed with the ending. It is truly a Snow White for this generation.- Kristen
Sadly, this was my least favorite story in the collection, but not for lack of a good concept.- Sarah
(Another critique, but like the other ones it was constructive criticism.)
This story is so sharp and pointy, but also sweet and soft, and altogether dark and delicious... I love it dearly.- Rachel Kovincy
The first has what I would describe as a modern gothic style, if that’s even a thing.- Sydney Mann
Falling Snow was my favorite. I would have loved a full length book with those characters and in that setting. -Hannah
Skye Hoffert’s “Falling Snow” is a great circus tale, filled with lots of mystery, and mixes a beautiful blend of beautiful lightness, and gritty darkness. - Karen Martin
I loved the circus setting of this story and it reminded me of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. However, I found the character of Snow to be rather passive. -Payton
( Another critique but she compared it to The Night Circus, so I'm going to count it as a win.)
The world of the fae circus is mysterious and enticing, and Hoffert’s characters steal the show.- Ashley G
Anyone who loves fairies and magic like those in “Labyrinth” or “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and/or love “The Greatest Showman” should absolutely check out this story!- Nicole
Thanks to everyone who read it! You guys have kept me going.
(this collection of gifs is brought to you by Klaus Hargreeves, who is my new favorite character and also my soulmate according to a buzzfeed quiz. Which we all know are legally binding.)





Me: *Innocently reading along* This is an amazing idea! Documenting learning and showing the good and the bad. This is amazing and if I'm ever publish I shall steal this idea!
ReplyDeleteAlso me: SHE USED MY COMMENT. AAAH! I MANAGED TO WRITE A REVIEW THAT EXPLAINED WHAT I WAS THINKING AND DIDN'T JUST SOUND LIKE GIBBERISH! AND SKYE LIKED IT.
Also: I love the small gangster circus ships. I WANT MORE CHAYOW! *cries*
Glad you like this idea, I wasn't sure if it was a good one or not. You should, it was a lot of fun to do.
DeleteYOUR REVIEW IS EVERYTHING! I CRIED AND SQUEALED OVER IT!!! Still do, actually... XD
Omigosh, yes! I've been working on that. I will post any decent snippets. <333
AHHHHHHH I love this post!!!! Like M.K. said, I'm definitely going to do this if I ever get published ^_^
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you so much for including mine! I'm amazed that I don't sound absolutely ridiculous the way I think most of my reviews probably do xD
(Heh heh...I can't even begin to complain about passive protagonist. *backs away* *the most active thing my protagonist has ever done is mouth off to one of the most dangerous people in the world*)
Eeep! I'm so happy about that, I wasn't sure about doing it.
DeleteOf course! I loved your review. It was amazing!!! I don't think you've ever sounded ridiculous in your reviews. You articulate yourself really well.
(XD Glad you can relate, I honestly didn't think Esma was passive, but you know. I mean if she had stabbed him or something, then people would complain that she was one of those too tough heroines. So you can't really win.)
oh, what a nice collection of reviews ;) I need to get my name added up there haha ... seriously, I do need to read this book and your story. And Klaus is actually a strangely likeable character ;D
ReplyDeleteketurahskorner.blogspot.com
Thank you! I hope you like, if you do get the chance to read it.
DeleteHe is! I love him so much! XD
I agree with all the many gushing reviews for Falling Snow. The one that says they'd be in the alley with cigs and whiskey is my absolute favorite. Negative reviews are hard, but it's great when you can learn something from them.
ReplyDeleteThanks Maddie! I feel the same about yours. Mine too! I love that description.
DeleteThey are, but necessary in the end I guess.
It makes me sooooo happy you're getting so many great reviews. But I mean OF COURSE YOU ARE. Falling Snow is just ALKJSLDFJLJSDf. I LOVE IT SO VERY MUUUCH!!!
ReplyDeleteI was honored to have my review there. ^_^ I could gush about your amazing story and characters foreverrr.
I really admire you for adding some of the critiques too, and choosing to learn from them. Such a beautiful attitude.
This was all so fun! :D It's giving me the urge to reread it!
It's insane to think about! Omigoodness, thank you!!!! I love that you love it. XD
DeleteBut of course! Yours is always going to hold a special place for me, because it was the first. It was also just a fabulous review. Gah, thank you! *HUGS*
I was hoping it would be. <333
Awwww I'm so happy for you that readers are loving your story!!! (I really need to get on top of my game and read it too!) And it's amazing you included critiques as well, as they're so important if hard to take. I really admire how you're handling everyone's thoughts. You're incredible. <3
ReplyDeleteThank you!!! ( I hope you get a chance to. :D) I really wanted to include them, their a big part of the process. A bitter pill to swallow, but I think they helped improve my writing. I appreciate that. Thanks so much!!! <3
DeleteI can agree with the people that say Snow comes across as a bit passive... but it's not because she's not actively involved in the story, she just gets used as an unwitting pawn by Chayse and Cynfael toward the end, and that probably wouldn't have worked if they'd told her what was going to happen, so... I don't see it as a problem.
ReplyDeleteOh me too, I think the character of Snow White is a passive one to begin with. I like that you understand why I did that. There was a time where I was going to have her be more involved, maybe kill the Queen. I couldn't write it, it didn't fit. I also didn't want her to be the typical Y.A heroine. I thought the part where she confronted Cynfael, showed that if she had known what was happening, she would have done a lot more.
DeleteI don't view passive characters as a flaw to a story, to be honest. I think people confuse passive with static. If they are growing and changing over the course of the story, then they're not static, even if they are getting manipulated/controlled/used by others. Some people are passive in real life, and so it's okay if some fictional characters are too.
DeleteMe either. I know a lot of passive people. That would make sense. Love how you put this.!
DeleteAwesome! I like how you did an appreciation post here!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I totally agree with Hamlette above me^^. Yeah, Snow is passive, but it's not really her fault? She doesn't have all the facts of her situation. She doesn't know she's in danger, she doesn't know the circus is full of fae, she doesn't know she's being used, and she has no way of knowing what she doesn't know. But the parts of her life that she does know about and have some control over like becoming a tightrope walker to improve her life, she does take an active part in. That's just not the part of her life that the story is about. *ahem* So yeah, I'll defend Falling Snow until the day I die. . . Oops? XD
Thanks, it seemed like the least I could do. I am still ecstatic over the fact that people have read it.
DeleteYou guys understand the story and Snow. A lot of people didn't, but I guess that happens. I'm just glad that you appreciate Snow for who she is, and how she dealt with everything. I appreciate that. Especially because I'm usually the one tearing it apart. XD