I'm going to preface this post, by telling you guys I plan on taking a break. I need one, I have spread myself too thin and I want to simplify my life for a bit. I'm almost through with my edits on 'Falling Snow.' I can't wait until I can say I'm done them. I'm very close.
I think I'm going to try and enjoy my summer and not push myself to do a million things. Maybe I'll read some books, make some art. I'll probably still be around, just won't be posting.
I've been watching a lot of inspiring movies lately. Trying to stay inspired to work on my story mostly.
One that really inspired me was 'I Can Only Imagine'
It's such a sad and inspiring story and really shows how God can make beauty out of our pain. It really touched me. It's about dreams and I suggest anyone who has had one to watch it. It's also a true story so that just makes it a 100% better.
One of the things it really got me thinking about was how pain plays such a big role in art. The things that touch and resonate with people are usually emotionally based and come from our vulnerabilities, fears, and insecurities. At some point in this movie, the main character is told he needs to put more emotion into his music and be more authentic, if he wants to stand apart. The song that gets him noticed comes after he goes through something incredibly painful. The song itself is beautiful and touches so many people.
This got me wondering how many successful books, movies, music, and art all had similar origins. We don't always get to hear the story behind these things and I'm inclined to think that a lot of people drew on their pain when they crafted their pieces.
I made this assumption based on personal experience. The only bit of success I've gained with writing so far. Was with a story I wrote while struggling with a lot of personal issues and demons. I was in pain a lot of pain. And I poured that into a short story that I didn't think had a chance at reaching the second round. I used it to tell a story, one that ended up getting noticed. One that will hopefully resonate with people. I guess my point is, you can craft your darkness and pain into a tool. You can use your pain. God uses your pain.
Maybe not everyone will get that from it. (I'm actually hoping most won't). I hate being vulnerable and I hate people seeing behind my mask. At the same time, I want to help people dealing with the same things. I want them to know they aren't alone.
The main point I'm trying to make is.
Use it, use your pain.




First of all, that's so exciting you're almost done with edits!!! AAAHHHHH! I cannot WAIT to read the final version IN PRINT. *shrieks with joy*
ReplyDeleteSecondly, yesssssssss to all of this! Okay, I haven't actually seen that movie yet (but I want to, I've heard it's good!), but I 100% agree with everything you said about art. I think it comes out a thousand times better when we pour our heart and soul and life struggles into our art. To open up and bleed on the pages. Somehow it's therapeutic and beautiful. It's not beautiful that we've experienced pain, but it IS beautiful how God can use our struggles to create something meaningful. You worded it perfectly: "You can use your pain. God uses your pain." <-- Exactly! The hardships can be transformed into something amazing, and it takes my breath away every single time.
This was an awesome post all around. Thank you for this.
I hope you have an absolutely wonderfully break. You have earned it! <3 (Though I will miss you posts!)
Thanks!!! It's such a relief I was really struggling with them. Me either, it's going to be so surreal *joins you in shrieking*
DeleteYou should!! It's so good! Thanks, I'm so glad you agree. It is, it makes it matter more I think. Or at the very least it has more of an impact. Oh I like that, yes! Agreed! I love that he uses all of it, the pain and tears. he gave us the ability to create, and it's such an amazing gift. Think about it always amazes me.
Thanks for reading it!
I will! Awe, thanks. I'm still struggling with allowing myself to take breaks. <3
(I won't be gone too long) ;)
It's okay to be vulnerable, we've all been there and we love you. <33
ReplyDeleteI hope your break is fantastic. <3
(Also, that is so exciting about editing, congrats!!!)
Thanks Gray, that really does make me feel better about everything! <33
DeleteI hope so!
It's been like pulling teeth.
Alrighty. First off, I shall miss you terribly, but I think a break at this point would be a very good thing.
ReplyDeleteI am thrilled that you are almost done with edits. I tried to start work on them again today.
And this post. So much yes. So many times the things that really resonate with me, I found out later there is a deep and usually painful story behind it. I feel like that probably happens a lot more than we know, because like you, not everyone wants to lay that story out there for all the world to see. The art, whatever form it comes in, is just a way for them to channel that pain and find some closure.
That’s usually what my poetry is for. I do not write poetry when I’m happy. Ever. It doesn’t work. Occasionally my stories have elements of my own struggles woven into them. It’s liberating to get it out onto a page.
Thanks Maddie, I think so too!
DeleteThey have been incredibly difficult, and I feel like I will never be happy with them.
Thanks, It has been happening to me a lot lately, and it makes me appreciate things more. True, people don't like sharing their pain. It makes art that much more important. :)
Poetry is such a beautiful way to get out that sadness or anger. I'm glad you have that as an outlet. It happens in my stories more than I would like to admit, but it does feel good.
Wow, this post was so deep and got me to thinking. My own Snow White story was born out of my pain about my temper...it still hasn't been completely written as I don't think I can fully wrestle that Dragon yet...
ReplyDeleteCatherine
catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com
Thanks! It's interesting how we use stories to work through things.
DeleteBest of luck with it, you can conquer that Dragon!
Dang girl! This is so raw and so true. Also, is the movie on Netflix? Cause I want to watch this ASAP. You totally deserve a break. Being an artist is an exhausting calling sometimes. Especially in this case. When you've got to channel your pain to create something beautiful and good. I will miss your blog posts, but I'll keep my eyes open for your return ;D <3
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Lizzy
P.S. your use of GIFs is impeccable as always
Thanks Lizzy! I'm not sure it might be. You should it's really good. I keep trying to tell myself that. It is!
DeleteYes, it's not always a fun process. I appreciate that! :D
<3
I do think artists put a lot of vulnerabilities and pain into their work...which can be why it's SO HARD to share your work sometimes! But I also don't believe we have to have suffered to create good art. Empathy is big too. 💛 But I have written a book (and not showed anyone yet lmao) that I put a lot of my own frustrations/pain into and it was very cathartic to write!
ReplyDeleteYes, it's really hard to share it. Oh that's true too, I should have touched on that. Not all art comes from pain. <3
DeleteThat sounds like a good idea.
I agree. I think good writing or good art comes from, maybe not necessarily, but from vulnerability. If you are honest about how things really are for you, or for others who are hurting whom you've had personal relationships with, it makes an impact because it's the truth. It's personal. I think that's usually associated with pain. While good art is vulnerability, pain is a by-product of vulnerability, I think. Who the heck wants to be vulnerable? Nobody wants others to see that in them. It's just hurts to be that honest (in part because then you have to be honest with yourself too).
ReplyDeleteAnyhow. I agree. Art hurts.
Yes, vulnerability plays a big role. Yup, it's hard to do, I think a lot of people struggle with it. I know I do. I like how you put it. No one does.
DeleteI think that's the hardest part, being honest with yourself.
It does!